• Gargoyle literary magazine publisher Richard Peabody participated in a reading at an Arlington, VA, bookstore in February 2013. For details, go to: http://www.gargoylemagazine.com/richard/richard.html
• Gargoyle literary magazine publisher Richard Peabody is among the experts featured in a Washington Post look at the changing world of publishing. See what he has to say here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/lifestyle/publishing-industry-profiles/
• Learn what was involved in bringing Kathy Acker to Washington in Richard Peabody's article at the Doctor T.J. Eckleburg Review site: http://thedoctortjeckleburgreview.com/2013/04/02/kathy-acker-king-of-the-pirates-comes-to-washington-dc/
• And the hits keep coming: Check out an interview at Fuse with Richard Peabody, publisher of Gargoyle literary magazine, by clicking here.
• Gargoyle literary magazine publisher Richard Peabody joined Rose Solari in a reading of their works on February 28, 2013, at the One More Page independent bookshop in Arlington, VA). Peabody read from his acclaimed latest short-story collection, Blue Suburban Skies. Solari read from her new novel, A Secret Woman.
• Check out two new interviews with Gargoyle publisher and Paycock Press owner Richard Peabody: http://www.inreads.com/2013/02/21/inauthors-a-conversation-with-richard-peabody/ at Inreads and http://www.litbridge.com/2013/02/18/interview-with-paycock-press-and-gargoyle-magazine/ at Lit Bridge.
• Richard Peabody, publisher of Gargoyle literary magazine, has received the 2013 Above and Beyond Award from Beyond the Margins for his ongoing generosity to other writers and his important contributions to the world of literature: http://beyondthemargins.com/2013/01/above-and-beyond-award-winner-2013-richard-peabody/
• A fabulous review of Gargoyle publisher Richard Peabody's Blue Suburban Skies at the Washington Independent Review of Books! The book is also the Pick of the Week through Xmas at Politics & Prose bookstore in DC: http://www.politics-prose.com/. Blue Suburban Skies has also received a glowing review from Pedestal magazine at http://www.thepedestalmagazine.com/gallery.php?item=23121.
• The new issue of the Broadkill Review (vol. 6, issue 6) includes a review of Gargoyle publisher Richard Peabody's newest collection of short stories, Blue Suburban Skies. Reviewer Scott Whitaker calls the work a "... tight collection of satire, masculine existential crises, and strong females popping with sexual energy ..." and (as) "entertaining as it is serious." Check it out by clicking here.
• Richard Peabody, publisher of Gargoyle literary magazine, held a joint reading with Rose Solari at Washington, DC's Politics and Prose bookstore on November 17, 2012. For details, go to:
• Jen Michalski's jmmw blog features a new interview with Richard Peabody, publisher of Gargoyle literary magazine and her nominee for "one of the hardest working writers and editors in the business." Richard talks about his new collection of short stories with Rosalia Scalia at: http://jmwwblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/15/interview-mr-blue-skies/
• Gargoyle magazine's Richard Peabody has a new piece of flash fiction, "King of the Zombies," in Word Riot.
• Check out this new interview with Gargoyle publisher Richard Peabody for insights into the writing process, publishing fiction, mentors, online publishing and more: http://fictionaut.com/blog/2012/09/26/fictionaut-five-richard-peabody/
• Gargoyle publisher Richard Peabody's new collection of poetry, Speed Enforced by Aircraft, has been nominated for a National Book Award. A colleague says it's "superb, smart, surprising, sweet and contemplative by turns. It's a tour de force." Check it out at https://sites.google.com/site/thebroadkillriverpress/ or at Amazon or Barnes and Noble.
• Richard Peabody, publisher of Gargoyle, has a new book coming out. Pre-orders for the fiction collection due out in October: http://www.mainstreetrag.com/RPeabody.html
• Gargoyle magazine publisher and editor Richard Peabody has a new poem in the Innisfree Poetry Journal: "Briseis."
• Check out Richard Peabody's new story, "Peppermint Schnapps," in Wilderness House Literary Review #6/4: http://www.whlreview.com/.
• This is fun - check out Dave Housley's reaction to works by Gargoyle's Richard Peabody here.
• The Washington Post Magazine published what a colleague has called "a lovely and long-overdue profile of (Gargoyle publisher) Richard Peabody, who does so much and then some to tirelessly promote, publicize and shape Washington writers and writing." Read it here.
• To hear interviews with Richard from the DC-area public TV station (WETA-TV), download this link:
• It's a mystery to us, but here's someone doing a live reading of Richard's work - without Richard.
• Read Richard's Getting Lucky in Literal Latte.
• Richard's poem "Are There Any FBI Agents in Heaven?" is in Margi.n.
• A letter to Richard is quoted in the intro to the Library of America collection of Paul Bowles short stories.
• Listen to Richard read poetry at Stain Bar July 27, 2007.
• Read Richard's High Five in the summer 2007 issue of the JMWW review.
• Richard to judge the F. Scott Fitgerald short story contest.
• See Richard read poetry in New York City in 2005.
• See Richard in USA Today, where he's the baseball poet.
• Read a recent interview with Richard at http://www.mipoesias.com/Volume19Issue2/peabodyinterview.html or a different one at http://www.writethis.com/z7.html.
• Read Richard's thoughts on the DC Literary Scene.
• Read an interview with Richard in the Mainstreet Rag.
• Read a recent poem of Richard's at Poetic Inhalations.
• Read Richard's recent poems in Todd Swift's Times
New Roman: Poets Oppose 21st Century Empire anthology,
Buoyancy and Other Myths - 1995
Sad Fashions - 1990
Echt & Ersatz - 1985
And read his most recent stories:
Getting Lucky - 2007
The Rain in Eritrea - 2005
Use as Needed, at Potion - 2005
"pas de deux " - 2003
Essence of Mitchum - 2000
Sugar Mountain - 2000
Open Joints on Bridge - 1999
Paraffin Days - 1995
Stress City: A Big Book of Fiction by 50 DC Area Guys, ed. by Richard Peabody (forthcoming April 2008)
Electric Grace: Still More Fiction by Washington Area Women, ed. by Richard Peabody (forthcoming November 2007)
Kiss the Sky: Fiction & Poetry Starring Jimi Hendrix, ed. by Richard Peabody ltd. to 1000 cc 2007
Enhanced Gravity: More Fiction by Washington Area Women -- ed. by Richard Peabody 2006
Sex & Chocolate: Tasty Morsels for Mind and Body ed. by Lucinda Ebersole & Richard Peabody, ltd. to 1000cc, 343pp 2006
Alice Redux: New Stories of Alice, Lewis, and Wonderland, ed. by Richard Peabody ltd. to 1000cc, 319pp, 2005
Conversations with Gore Vidal (Literary Conversations Series) (w/Lucinda Ebersole) - 2005, University of Mississippi.
31 Arlington Poets 2004
Loose Change by Tina Fulker - 1995
Gargoyle Magazine - #1-51 (1976-ongoing)
Manuscript Assessment/Literary Consultation
Contact Richard at email@example.com
I charge $1 a page to read a manuscript sans red pen and simply tell you what I think. I send along a short 1-2pp critique and don't return the manuscript.
I charge $2 a page to read and critique manuscripts. Poetry/fiction/nf. Book length or individual stories, essays, poems. I red pen the document and send a much longer written critique.
All manuscripts are to be double spaced. Booklength manuscripts should be in Courier font (as that's what agents and editors expect).
Checks should accompany your manuscript.